
I've also ventured into Accupuncture. I'm seeing a Dr. who's practice is solely based around "turning patients into parents." Either he's some sort of wizard with ancient techniques or he has mastered how to capitalize on desperate women like myself. I have yet to decide which it is, and probably never will.
My first accupuncture appointment was June 14. The office is small, semi-serene, and nice although I was secretly hoping for more tranquility. The Dr. introduced himself to me and explained all about our Qi (pronounced Chee) being the energy of the body. He talked about how if our blood flow/energy is off, then scientific strategies (Western medicine) can only do so much. He asked a series of medical and personal questions, looked at my tongue and held my wrists one at a time with his eyes closed. He said, "I think you'll do very well" and then I changed into a gown for my first treatment.
He came into the room quietly and proceeded to ever so gently insert about 15 needles into my skin. One in my right ear, one in forhead, and a series down my arms and legs. He left the room and set a timer. I listend to the crashing waves of the tranquility music playing. I closed my eyes. I relaxed until I realized I couldn't move at all out of fear of accidently stabbing myself or thrusting a needle deep into my appendage. How is THAT supposed to be relaxing? I chuckled at myself. "How silly" I thought. "Wait, silly to think I'd stab myself, or that I'm here thinking this might actually work?" These were actually the things going through my mind. I remembered the Dr. saying that he likes to see women through their fertility treatment cycles (about a month) and through the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. All I could do was calculate dollar signs in my head. "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!! How am I going to talk Calvin into this one?" He'll probably offer something smart like, "close your eyes and I'll put thumbtacks all over your body and we'll see how well that works." LOL. My Dr. gave me a book to read to attempt to further understand why accupuncture works. I have yet to sell the concept to Calvin, but he's not putting up a fight when I go, so I'll continue to go until there's an issue.
I went again last week. This time I felt more prepared and talked myself into relaxing before the needles were put all over my body. Again, I had to find that place where I'm relaxed but not so relaxed I forget and scratch my nose or something and jam a needle into my eye. It was uneventful. Call me crazy, but I was sooooo in tune with my body during this treament. It was like I could feel my heart beat throughout my body. I wondered if this was the Qi the Dr. told me about. I wondered if it was all in my head. Sometimes, I'll admit, that my own self talk is my worst enemy. But, then I think, "Wait a minute, what if it's really working? What if it's really doing what it's supposed to? Don't discredit it, because after all you're here to try to make it work and you're desperate for the outcome of a pregnancy...what do you have to lose?This whole process has truly been an exercise in positive and wishful thinking.
Cal and I both recently submitted several blood tests and have received the results. We also got Cal's "analysis" results. Long story short, Cal is on a new pharmacy of drugs to ensure his overall health and it was recommended that he take "Fertility Blend for Men" vitamins to assist with motility and morphology of his little swimmers. I guess this means chewable Flinstone vitamins are out! Again, anything to help...right? Motility is how well the little boogers are swimming, and morphology is their shape and ability to penetrate an egg. Apparently Cal's swimmers are taking their time, don't seem to think that my biological clock is ticking like a time bomb, and like most men don't stop to ask for directions so they're constantly making right turns..."Over here guys...right turn, right turn, right turn."

I had my ever so enjoyable Colposcopy on June 26. The Dr. didn't seem to think that there would need to be further treatment and said that she thought we would likely follow up in 6 months. A biopsy was sent to the lab and all is clear!
I met with my nurse at the fertility center on June 26 as well. She was amazing, an absolute sweetheart. She was so thorough, personable, optimistic and really took her time with me. She showed me the clever pen (Gonal-F) that I'll be using to give myself shots into my abdomen for 5 days. She let me practice in the office onto gauze to see how the syringe worked, gave me pointers, and reassurance. I don't have a problem with needles or medical procedures (thank goodness), but thinking about all the vitamins, the Clomid I would be beginning and now these daily injections, I was beginning to feel a little like a lab monkey. I can only hope that all these pokes and prods will be worth it in the end.
So, as it stands today, my baseline ultrasound showed no cysts, no concerns. I continue with medications I was previously taking (non fertility related), and am taking prenatal vitamins, baby aspirin and will begin Clomid tomorrow. I'll be on a strict no caffeine, low sugar diet and will continue the meds until 7/15 when we go in for the next ultrasound to see how my body has responded. And then...we schedule the IUI procedure.
Calvin and I are optimistic. We are very supportive of eachother right now and could probably open our own pharmacy between the two of us. :) We are looking forward to relaxing days ahead, smooth medical procedures, increasingly healthy bodies, and positive results. Thats all we can hope for.
"There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view remains the same." ~Chinese Proverb