As I write this, you are considered 18 week, 1 day gestation. That means that you're entirely made inside my tummy right now, and it'll take the next 20+ weeks to grow and mature to perfection before you are born and we officially meet face to face.
I think about you all the time, who you are, how big you're growing, what you'll look like, what your personality will be like, whether you'll look more like me or your daddy. I've thought about everything and wanted to share these thoughts with you...because you're my baby and we already have a bond like no other.
We got to see you today on the ultrasound. You were jumping all around and liked to be in a crunched up fetal position! Your legs were kicking, you opened your mouth and even waved at us!!! Your brain and vital organs are all in place (thank goodness)! These are the things that will give you life; one day you will be born and your true engaged life will begin. Who will you develop into?
You have a brain which will help you to make decisions, to learn, to share your opinion. I promise to help foster your growth to the best of my ability and to turn all moments into learning moments so that you can grow into the best person you can be someday. You will be smart and will have the world at your fingertips, I just know it. Don't ever underestimate the power of your brain, all that it entails, and be sure to use it wisely.
Your eyes, oh how gorgeous they'll be! I made your eyes to help you see the beauty in the world. May you always be able to make sense of all you see and keep wanting to see more. Travel. Read. Watch beautiful sunsets, look for butterflies, and see the beauty in people...always.
Your ears will help you to make sense of some of the things you see. Close your eyes and just listen. It's amazing what the world sounds like at times. Maybe you'll develop a keen love for music; maybe for listening to it, or making your own. Develop your "ear" and listen to what is uniquely your own interpretation. It's amazing. Sometimes sitting in silence is nice too.
We saw the 4 chambers of your heart beating today...that's what keeps you alive. So, keep it healthy by eating right and getting plenty of exercise. Someday you'll fall in love, and you'll feel like your heart has been broken. Your daddy and I will do all we can to soften the blow for you, and to help you heal. Just remember that your heart hasn't really broken, it will just feel that way for a while. The loss of someone you love is inevitable, but some people say that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. You WILL love someone, and I can assure you that you will be loved by MANY. You already are.
We got to see your bones growing strong today! Your bones may get broken while trying to do a jump during an ice skating lesson (like your mommy), or during a Soccer game or something else; sometimes we get hurt doing the things we love. Don't let this deter you. Bones are resilient and will grow back together in no time! Drink your milk to keep them strong! I like my milk best in cereal. :) Those arms of yours will be good for throwing a ball and for giving good, strong hugs! I'll be stealing a lot of those from you!
We saw your nose and precious smile today, well as best as we could see it on the ultrasound screen. You're already looking so cute! Stop and smell the roses someday. Smell your favorite foods. You'll have scents you will remember all your life, like the smell of your grandma's perfume. I can smell it right now, without her actually being here. Your smile will welcome people into your life. It will take you far. Don't ever underestimate the power of a smile. PLEASE brush your teeth...often. I will make you brush them all the time. It's very important to help with that beautiful smile in the making! Oh, and you'll get visits from the tooth fairy all too soon! Just wait and see!
We saw your spine. It will keep you all put together and standing up straight and tall. Figuratively speaking, it will also give you the stubbornness I just know you're going to have if you're anything like me or daddy. Stand up for yourself when you need to. Say what's on your mind. Be polite. This is a tricky thing to master, so practice cautiously.
I'll keep doing what I need to do to keep you safe and cozy while you're in my tummy...no matter what it takes. Just know that daddy and I love hearing your heartbeat and seeing you every chance we get. We can't wait to have you here to hold. We're looking forward to gazing into your eyes and teaching you all that we can. We love you so much already. Hang in there, kiddo, just a few more months to go!!!!
Love,
Mommy