About 2 weeks ago I noticed some slight uncomfortable feelings in my lower girl region. Specifically, after a days work, walking thru the grocery store, picking up the house, or just sitting at the table enjoying a leisurely dinner with my hubby, I would notice a "heaviness" and slight pain. Pain isn't really the right word...discomfort, I guess, is better. I can't pin point the feeling because it encompasses my groin, the lady parts, sometimes the buttocks, and the hips. The whole region. What does it feel like? Oh, like someone hit my pubic bone with a hammer or I came down hard on a bicycle seat; it feels bruised. Bruised when walking or sitting. The only relief I seem to have is lying on my side. Mornings are great! By 11am, however, I'm sore. I thought maybe I had just strained something or that this was just normal and it would go away but it hasn't.
I started tapping into my hypochondriac personality and looked up all kinds of stuff on the internet I was easily convinced I had. From a practical perspective, I did learn about the hormone Relaxin which allows your joints to allow for bone expansion. In the 5th month of pregnancy Relaxin sets in and the hips and pelvis begin to shift and widen to prepare for birth. So, maybe it's just that we are right on track and my body is doing exactly what it's supposed to do! Hooray! Oh, and Relaxin isn't specific to the baby region joints, it's also the culprit for feet growing during pregnancy! I can't afford bigger feet and I despise shoe shopping!
As fate would have it, just when I'm getting increasingly worried that my baby is about to be born way too early, I had my OB appointment today. My doctor didn't seem too worried about my symptoms. She checked my cervix to ensure it wasn't thinning and even had me push downward with my hands on my tummy as she watched on the ultrasound screen to make sure my cervix didn't open with 30 seconds of pressure. How's that for a real life experiment? All was good. No concerns AND I got a surprise sneak peek of the babykins and his/her ribs and cute little hand moving all around.
So, per recommendation of the doctor, I ordered a pelvic support belt to see if maybe that makes a difference and helps with all that pressure and uncomfortable feeling. Let's hope it works! I can't stand the 20 second delay I have when standing from a seated position and I seriously feel like I'm starting to waddle!
Butterflies or popcorn? I can't decide. The baby is moving all over the place these days. People have described the early feeling like butterflies in the tummy and I adore that analogy. I've felt flutters here and there, but now I'm convinced I'm turning into a human popcorn maker. I'll feel " pop, pop, pop pop pop" in my belly for a good couple of minutes. I smile internally and outwardly every time. Such an amazing feeling!
Yes I referred to the baby as him/her because we don't officially know the gender yet! My friend, Kadi who resides in Oregon has the result and is sending us a very special package. Only 21 more days till Christmas! For the first time in YEARS I actually feel a little bit of the Christmas
Spirit and feel like I have something to look forward to. It's truly going to be magical this year, and it's about time.
We have another ultrasound scheduled for Friday this week and my doctor is pleased with my gestational diabetes management. That makes me happy. I will take the insulin shots, the uncomfortable wobbles, and would even ride a bike with a bruised bottom if it all meant I was going to have my very own baby to hold. I'm thrilled to pieces to be along for this ride: rough bicycle seat and all.